August 19, 2007

First Impressions on Etsy

We've all heard you never get a second chance to make a first impression. When it comes to your etsy shop, your first photo can mean the difference between a sale and a customer clicking away.

Why should you take extra care in the first image that you choose for your etsy listings?

1. It's the first thing customers see when they arrive at your shop. Better photos mean a higher chance of having your item clicked on and that could lead to more sales.

2. If you don't wow them with the first photo, shoppers will hit the back button, not the next photo.

3. It increases your chances of being chosen for treasuries, which is more free advertising for your shop.

So what makes a front-page-treasury-worthy photo?

1. Clear, crisp photos.

2. Avoid any words or graphics added to your first picture.

3. Crop to create an eye-catching photo. If it's a large/long image, like a necklace, it's better if the first photo is a close-up of the focal point rather than the entire necklace.
4. DO NOT have a penny or any other money in the first photo to show the size of your object. If you must do that, save it for one of the other 4 photos. I use a vintage ruler to show the size of my beads.


First photo, ends are cropped for thumbnail. Size comparison photo with the ruler.

5. If you use any props in that first photo, make sure they are in the background and not competing with the item you are selling.





6. Keep the center of your image interesting and avoid empty space when it's cropped. Want to know what your photo is going to look like as a featured/gallery thumbnail? Shrink it down to 155 x 125 pixels.


Here are two links with everything you need to know about improving your product photos:

Photography tips from the EtsyWiki

Parting advice: take way more pictures than you think you need. Use a tripod if you use the macro feature on your camera. Natural light is best, if can take photos outside, avoiding direct sunlight. (I use a sheet of vellum paper to filter out harsh light.)

2 comments:

Kathleen J. said...

You are so right about making that first photo the best. I use etsy minis and I chose my favorites to show off much of the time from the thumbnail. If it really stands out I put it in my favorites that I show off on the sidebar of my blog. Thank you for hosting and thank you for all the tips.

Bead-Mused said...

Well, I just learned a bucket full about photos thanks to Heather. I'm think I need to go redo some photos!! Thanks, Heather -- you have been a tremendous help to me!