August 30, 2008

Van Gogh




I saw my first Van Gogh painting at an Impressionism Exhibit in Ohio when I was in high school. It was my first look at real artwork with the likes of Van Gogh, Degas, Gauguin, Monet and more. To see artwork in person is unlike what we see in books, on the computer screen, printed on T-shirts, etc. There is something about knowing that the artists' hand actually touched the object in front of you that is amazing to me. It's crazy to me that I can go on the other side of town and see one of Van Gogh's paintings. I think my highlight of going to NY this year was seeing Starry Nights in person. When we went to the museum, I wasn't excepting to see that and there it was just hanging out in a gilded frame. It was smaller than I thought it would be. But so much more amazing.

Now as much as I love Starry Nights, my favorite painting of all time is Van Gogh's Irises.
After I finish the series of beads that I'm working on, I'm going to turn my attention to interpreting this painting in beads.

We have a nice long weekend ahead of us. I'm working today, things seem to take me so much longer than I hope. My new beads are slowly coming along, but orders keep popping up that have to go out first. Which is good. It just means my big fall launch will happen after this weekend. I know I keep moving it up, hopefully the new beads will be worth the wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I live in Southern California and have taken groups of elementary children to see "Irises" many times.
It is one of those paintings that make the group fall silent and just look and whisper. It is one of the most beautiful objects to see...ever.
Looking forward to your interpretation of that masterpiece!
Your work is beautiful and your blog is always great.

Heather Powers said...

I would love to see Irises in person! You are very fortunate!