February 16, 2009

Blogging Tips, Part 2

So once you have your blog set up, what next?

Keep your blog posts short and sweet to start out.

Make 5 posts before you start spreading the word and asking people to stop by your blog. This is called a launch and you should have something for readers to come see before you launch your blog into the world.

You can also invite your friends and family to view your new blog after those first 5 introductory posts. Someone sent me an invite to their new blog the other day, it was very sweet.

After you have those 5 posts on your blog, leave thoughtful and heartfelt comments on 5 different blogs a day for the first week. Comments are the best part of blogging, blogging is more enjoyable when it's interactive! This is the best way to have new readers visit your blog.

Do you know it's a faux pas to ask other bloggers to add you to their blog roll? The best thing is to leave comments and if they like your blog, they will add you. If you like a blog and read it daily, add it to your blog roll.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself when you start blogging. First, no one is reading it when you start out, so don't stress! And you'll learn more tips and tricks as you go along, don't expect to be an expert before you publish your first post. The most important thing is to get into the habit of posting regularly.

A great example is new blogger, Marcia Decoster. She keeps her posts short, filled with eye-candy photos, inspiration and a peek into her creative world. Everything I look for in a good blog! She has even kept up with it despite a busy traveling schedule.
For more tips and inspiration pick up a copy of Artful Blogging.
Here was my first blog post, a to-do list. Which is funny, because my current to-do list is almost the same. Ah, the pre-Bead Cruise flurry of tasks!

7 comments:

Rosanne said...

I remember when I first started blogging. I thought it would be a total waste of time. Who would want to hear what I have to say? But over the last year its become such a great communication tool. I've made many new friends and love to read about other people's
lives and the things they do. And people actually read my stuff too!
What a hoot. I've also found that like with anything else, just keep it simple.

Stephanie said...

Hello

Great tips! I like your blog a lot and have even seen your beads on other sites. Really unique and beautiful things. I think I'm at my 5 post mark. Thanks for the "launch" idea!

See you around blog land
Stephanie

Lampwork by Lori said...

Excellent tips! Just like your excellent beads!

Mary Harding said...

Great blogging tips, Heather. I have friends who want to start blogging and will reference this to them. I especially like the "short and sweet" advice since enough time is something we all need more of.

cindy said...

Hi Heather! Great tips for blogging. I have also used tips from Rena Klingenberg and her book "Social Networking" and her website: www.home-jewelry-business-tips.com. A plethora of information.
Cindy

Marcia DeCoster said...

Oh my Gosh, just got back from Atlanta, catching up on blogs I follow, and now I'm blushing....Thank you! See you soon...

DLSarmywife said...

What wonderful blogging tips. I am just starting out and tips like these are great to know. Not to mention you make gorgeous beads. Enjyo your cruise, sounds like it's going to be a blast.
Deborah