June 20, 2015

June Art Bead Scene Challenge

Feuilles by Seraphine Louis, 1928

This is the inspiration painting for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge. When I was looking for art for this year's challenge, I was wondering looking for women artist's to feature - we need all the credit we can get, right? I had seen Seraphine's work before but this piece just stopped me in my tracks. The colors are so vibrant and alive. I could make beads and jewelry for a month inspired by this painting and never run out of ideas. I love the abundance and overzealous feeling of the work, who isn't a little overtaken by the beauty of nature! 

Let's see what I came up with this month.

First up, I broke into my Bead & Button stash and pulled out some Diane Hawkey beads. Why don't I ever buy enough of her pieces, I always use them up to quick. I'm particularly in love with her branches, should have grabbed all her had. I paired them up with my leaves and birds. A little Czech glass and copper branches finish the design.

The same design with a slight twist, mixing in a few different pendants - the ceramic leaf from Lisa Peters, lampwork from Sea of Glass and enamel leaf from Gardanne Beads. I kept these simple with a bronze colored leather.

I made this piece for myself. That amazing electroplated leaf is something I picked up from an artist at a local show last summer. I can't find her card - why, Heather, why! I hope she returns this year. If I could take a class or teach myself a new skill it would be how to electroplate things from nature. Yummy!!!!

I also used the inspiration painting to put together a few kits that I'm offering in my Etsy shop.

So that's my ABS challenge pieces, are you working on one or have you finished a design? There is still plenty of time to enter. Stop by the Art Bead Scene to see what Mary Harding created for this month's challenge too.

9 comments:

Mary Harding said...

So many wonderful pieces Heather!! Love all the different leaves and bright colors AND art beads!!!
I truly enjoy taking the Art Bead Scene Challenge. And I see that you do too!!

Unknown said...

Aaahhhh! I love them all, absolutly georgouse! I always enjoy seeing your guys interpretations, I love this month's pallet! I must get my behind in gear so I don't miss the deadline AGAIN! lol I bought beads just got the challenge this month! 😄

Unknown said...

Aaahhhh! I love them all, absolutly georgouse! I always enjoy seeing your guys interpretations, I love this month's pallet! I must get my behind in gear so I don't miss the deadline AGAIN! lol I bought beads just got the challenge this month! 😄

Unknown said...

Aaahhhh! I love them all, absolutly georgouse! I always enjoy seeing your guys interpretations, I love this month's pallet! I must get my behind in gear so I don't miss the deadline AGAIN! lol I bought beads just got the challenge this month! 😄

baymoondesign said...

Heather-I love them all. I agree with you regarding Diane Hawkey beads. I wish she would put more on her website.

Lynn said...

Wow!!! I love all these designs and your wonderful color combinations! :)


Unknown said...

Always wonderful to see what you do with an inspiration!

Laurel said...

I love your designs, Heather! I think my very favorite is the last bracelet with the purple and brown. Gorgeous! I love all the shapes and variety of beads.

Unknown said...

All of your designs are beautiful. I love how you combine things - and color! This month's painting was so inspiring. I love it.